FYI – The next workshop is planned for June 21 2018, click for more information and registration information.
2017 Attendees – Please see the end of this page for workshop materials.
2017 Workshop: Strengthening Social Emotional Learning through School-wide Character Development
June 22, 2017 | 8 am – 12 pm |Changepoint Church, 14415 E. Sprague, Spokane Valley
Continental breakfast provided | Clock hours available from ESD 101 or your home district
Who should attend? All P-12 teachers, counselors and administrators. Planning time is built in to each session so attendance by building teams or pairs is encouraged!
Purpose: The workshop model will allow participants to hear from local experts on three different topics related to character strength development. Time will be provided after each presentation for participants to work collaboratively with peers to personalize the information, develop implementation strategies, and plan activities and efforts to deepen the commitment to social, emotional and character development in their classrooms and school communities.
Topics and Speakers:
- Assessing Your School’s Climate/Character Needs – Karen Bromps, Principal, Centennial Middle School, West Valley School District
- Strengthening Social Emotional Learning – Dr. Wendy Bleeker, Whitworth University
- Planning your School’s World Character Day Kick Off – Melanie Rose, Sue Shields & Debbie Tully – PACE World Character Day Task Force
- A Message from the First PACE School of Character Award Winner – Principal and Staff
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Hear from our First PACE School of Character Award Recipient
- Increase your understanding of social emotional learning, particularly among children with the greatest needs
- Plan ways to use World Character Day on September 13 as a kick-off for a year of focused student development of character strengths
- Learn multiple ways to provide evidence of character development efforts. Discuss ways to measure how you are positively shaping the social, emotional, and character development of the young people entrusted to you each day (and then use this evidence for TPEP purposes if you choose)
- Explore free resources & materials
- Collect ideas from peers about school-wide and classroom learning activities
PACE Workshop Sponsors:
Questions? Call Debbie Tully @ 777-4369 or Sarah Seidel @ 777-3229