PACE is a grassroots Spokane Valley initiative that began in 2009 to promote the importance of good character through partnerships with schools, businesses, public agencies, residents, faith-based organizations and community service groups.
At the root of the initiative is a list of monthly character traits. Partners work from this common list, and promote and integrate each trait into the regular activities of the organization. PACE features a different character trait each month to be the focus of multi-faceted communication, motivation and educational programs throughout the entire month.
West Plains Chapter
In 2014, PACE expanded to the West Plains! The idea for a West Plains Chapter of PACE came to fruition in 2013 as a result of collaborative efforts between Cheney Public Schools, Medical Lake School District and the West Plains Chamber of Commerce.
“We are so excited to partner with our community as we highlight one character trait per month,” said Dr. Debra Clemens, superintendent of Cheney Public Schools. “We welcome the opportunity to recognize our students and to intentionally teach a specific character trait each month. It is our pleasure to expand the goals of PACE to the West Plains!”
Cheney and Medical Lake school district educators are already recognizing students for exemplifying the character trait of the month. For example, at Westwood Middle School, student Trinity Godfrey donated her hair to Locks of Love. She was recognized for exemplifying the character trait of CARING by Westwood Middle School Principal, Dr. Erika Burden.
A PACE Leadership Team formed in September 2009. A set of governing Bylaws (pdf – coming soon) has been drafted. The Team includes representatives from the following organizations:
- A Personal Fit – Elea Sprinkle
- Avista Corporation – Todd Kiesbuy
- Better Business Bureau Foundation – Amy Bivano
- Christian Service Team – Ian Robertson
- Dishman Dodge Ram Chrysler Jeep – Marlene “Marti” Hollenback
- KiDDS Dental – Brandie Evans
- Inland Power and Light – Lindsey Hobbs
- New Horizons Computer Learning Center – Dennis Gagaoin
- Numerica Credit Union – Heidi Curnow
- Spokane Valley Fire Department – Melanie Rose
- STCU – Erik Puthoff
- Quality Hardwood Floors – Wendy Van Orman
- Whitworth University – Debby Tully
- Central Valley School District – Tanya Conklin, Ben Small, Verne Reed, Marla Nunberg
- Cheney Public Schools – Jessica Deutsch
- East Valley School District – Stephanie Watson
- Freeman School District – Randy Russell
- Tekoa School District – Connie Kliewer
- West Valley School District – Sue Shields
Character Trait of the Month